Symantec Cyber Security Analyst in Herndon, Virginia
Are you passionate about security? Love solving difficult problems? Want to work with a wide variety of clients across various industries? Come work with Symantec! Cyber Security Analysts in Symantec's Managed Security Services work on a world class team to identify threats within client environments, in order to keep clients secure. The responsibilities of this role are to work with clients to ensure all their security analysis needs are met. This includes but is not limited to the following responsibilities:
• Monitoring and analyzing logs and alerts from a variety of different technologies (IDS/IPS, Firewall, Proxies, Anti-Virus, etc…), across multiple platforms.
• Assessing the security impact of security alerts and traffic anomalies on customer networks.
• Creating comprehensive security write-ups which articulate security issues, analysis and remediation techniques.
• Escalating and explaining severe security incidents to clients verbally.
• Responding to technical security questions and concerns from clients.
• Maintaining a strong awareness and understanding of the current threat landscape.
• Conducting research on emerging security threats and potential customer impact.
• 2-4 years of IT or security experience, with a minimum year of experience in an information security position – ideally focused on intrusion detection/network security monitoring and analysis.
• A passion for security, learning, and knowledge sharing.
• Experience working with clients, preferably in an operational environment.
• Strong knowledge of the TCP/IP protocol suite and related security concerns.
• Strong knowledge of identified operating system platforms, routers, network protocols, and security architecture.
• Working knowledge of well-known security tools such as NMAP, Nessus, TCPDump, Wireshark, Netcat, and Metasploit.
• A strong understanding of the information security threat landscape, including detailed technical knowledge about the most prevalent vulnerabilities, threats, attack methods, and infection vectors.
• The ability to express themselves clearly and demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Hands-on experience with market-leading security products is desired, including intrusion detection systems (Snort/SourceFire, IBM Proventia/ISS, McAfee IntruShield) and firewalls (CheckPoint, Cisco PIX).
• Bachelor's degree in a security related field, or proven experience desired.
• Relevant industry standard certifications preferred (CompTIA, SANS, CISSP, C|EH, Etc.)
• Candidate expected to work towards SANS GIAC Certified Intrusion Analyst (GCIA) within 6 months of entry into this position.
Symantec is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Relentlessly protect the world’s information. Make a difference at Symantec. Across the globe, we are an ‘essential’ partner to both consumers and businesses of all sizes. We combine our talents, our brains, and our creative energy to reinforce our place as a world-class technical community.
Our most critical asset at Symantec is the talent we hire - you! We look for people who have a desire to excel and reflect our values: Innovation, Action, Customer-Driven, and Trust. We recognize that every opening in our company is a chance to increase Symantec's competitive advantage, and we are willing to invest in you in order to win.
Symantec is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Symantec will respond to requests for reasonable accommodations to assist you in applying for positions at Symantec, or to submit a resume. If you need to request an accommodation, please contact HR Service Exchange at https://symantec.service-now.com/hrp/ .
EEO is the Law. Applicants and employees of Symantec Corporation are protected under Federal law from discrimination. Click here at http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf to find out more.